Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Decorating with birdhouses inside and out

Stroll through the aisles of any nursery, florist or even stores like Hobby Lobby and you'll be struck by the number of beautiful birdhouses that are on the market. There are even more if you venture online to specialty stores or handmade outlets like Etsy.

With so many beautiful birdhouses to choose from, you may disappointed if you live in a high-rise or don't have a place to hang a birdhouse outdoors. But hey, don't limit yourself to just displaying a birdhouse outside. Birdhouses make great accents around the house both indoors and out.

With so many birdhouses to choose from, don't limit yourself to keeping them only outside. Here's just a sampling of birdhouses I found at Hobby Lobby recently. Too cute, right?


I use birdhouses inside and out...but mostly indoors. I have them scattered around the house because I think they are just to pretty to expose them to the elements. Here's a sampling that I have displayed in a window transom in my sunroom.


I have hung them around the house and set them on top of my china cabinet in the dining room. There is no area that is off-limits for a birdhouse. Some I made with my son; others I bought.

Outside, I hang them in all the usual spots...from trees and Shepard hooks and even from a trellis.



This birdhouse was designed as a tribute to Victorian architecture. It is mounted on a pole and sits in a cozy spot in the garden.


When two old trees had to come down in our yard, we saved the stumps and dressed them up with birdhouses. This one is from Nature Creations and is handcrafted from recycled wood and metal from old bars and homes in southeastern Illinois. I purchased mine at Alsip Home & Nursery in Frankfort, Illinois. I love the heavy slate room on this model and the stone fireplace/chimney.


Here's another birdhouse form Nature Creations. This one has a metal room and stone chimney. It is only crooked because the stump isn't exactly level but the odd angle, to me, just makes the birdhouse more whimsical. I love the idea that it is made of repurposed materials that can be as many as 100 years old.


Turns out, my neighbor is into birdhouses, too. She has her collection on display along the exterior wall of her garage.


Do you decorate with birdhouses? If so, send me your photos.




1 comment:

  1. Someone recently told me that birdhouses are a great way to give your yard an inviting feeling. Before reading this I hadn't thought about putting them on the inside of the house, but I can see how that would be a great idea as well. I'll be sure to refer back to this article as I try to find some birdhouses for my house!http://www.alivewithitems.com/outdoor/patio-lawn-garden/birdhouses.html

    ReplyDelete